Online Poker Basics
ONLINE POKER BASICS
Welcome to our online poker basics guide.
Remember that there are many variations of poker and we will deal with them all in detail in a different section. This is where we discuss the online poker basics which apply to all of the poker games.
All online poker games are usually played with a standard deck of fifty-two cards. A standard deck of cards has 13 various ranks of cards, and they are: Ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Jack, Queen, King.
There are four card suites that have one of each of these thirteen cards. The four suits are: Clubs, Spades, Diamonds, and Hearts.
Some poker game varieties use a joker or "wild" card, but you are not likely to find these games at online poker rooms. You are more likely to encounter joker card play at poker home games.
How do the Games Work?
All online poker games have rounds of replacing and receiving cards as well as rounds of betting that will add to a common fund, or "pot." The amount of poker card draws and betting rounds depends on the type of poker game you are participating in. Action usually takes place in a clockwise direction.
Usually, players either ante, or make blind wagers into the common fund / pot. They then receive cards, and place their bets. At the end of a betting round, all the players have to have contributed equal amounts to the pot.
The Basic Player Actions:
- Bet: Players place bets when there are no bets on the table yet.
- Call: Players choose whether they want to match the bet if there is already one on the table.
- Check: Players may bet zero and pass the action on to the player next to the, if there is no bet on the table.
- Fold: Players can choose not to match the wager on the table, which means they have to surrender their cards and forfeit their chance at winning the pot.
- Raise: Players may increase the bet on the table by raising.